- no virgin's lamp can go out; [Matt. 25:1-13]
- no promising harvest be choked with thorns; [Mk. 4:18-19]
- no branch in Christ can ever be cut off from unfruitfulness; [Jn. 15:1-6]
- no pardon can ever be forfeited, [Num. 14:34, Isa. 63:8-10]
- and no name blotted out of God's book! [Rev. 3:5]
They insist that...
- no salt can ever lose its savor; [Matt. 5:13]
- nobody can ever "receive the grace of God in vain"; [2 Cor. 6:1, Gal. 2:21, 5:4]
- "bury his talents"; [Matt. 25:24-30]
- "neglect such great salvation"; [Heb. 2:3]
- trifle away "a day of grace"; [2 Cor. 6:2, Heb. 3:7-15]
- "look back" after putting his hand to the gospel plow. [Lk. 9:62]
- Nobody can "grieve the Spirit" till He is "quenched," and strives no more, nor "deny the Lord that bought them"; nor "bring upon themselves swift destruction." [1 Thess. 5:19, Gen. 6:3, 2 Pet. 2:1]
- Nobody, or body of believers, can ever get so lukewarm that Jesus will spew them out of His mouth. [Rev. 3:16]
They use reams of paper to argue that...
- if one ever got lost he was never found. John 17:12;
- that if one falls, he never stood. Rom. 11:16-22 and Heb. 6:4-6;
- if one was ever "cast forth," he was never in, and "if one ever withered," he was never green. John 15:1-6;
- and that "if any man draws back," it proves that he never had anything to draw back from. Heb. 10:38,39;
- that if one ever "falls away into spiritual darkness," he was never enlightened. Heb. 6:4-6;
- that if you "again get entangled in the pollutions of the world," it shows that you never escaped. 2 Pet. 2:20;
- that if you "put salvation away" you never had it to put away, and if you make shipwreck of faith, there was no ship of faith there!! [1 Tim. 1:19]
In short they say: If you get it, you can't lose it; and if you lose it you never had it.
May God save us from accepting a doctrine, that must be defended by such fallacious reasoning!